|Training Tips with Olympic Medalist RunWalk Coach Lynn Kanuka
“It all starts with a voice inside…”
I have no idea some 40 years ago what possessed me to head out for a run along Wascana Parkway in Minus 30 degrees in Regina, Saskatchewan. It was 1.5 miles to the university and back from my home. You can bet nobody looked at me that day all bundled up in the cold and thought “that girl will race around the world representing our country, and stand on an Olympic podium!” My intention back then was simple: I remember wanting to do something active for myself that was totally my own, and it’s that same personal feeling that still gets me out the door for a run or walk nearly every day. I understand what it means to make a start. To struggle a little bit. To find a way to fit a workout in amidst our busy lives. My days as a serious athlete are long past, but I’ve never enjoyed my running more because I know that it makes me feel motivated, vibrant, and helps me keep the demands of the day in stride. It’s become my passion to help others find the motivation to get off that couch and move because it simply Feels Good. Barring unforeseen circumstances most everyone can walk or run, as long as you don’t do too much too fast too soon. It’s the impact that gets you every time if you don’t have a proper program with some guidance and support.
You’ve already made the biggest decision by deciding to join your clinic and make a start. I’ll have the privilege of guiding you as your virtual coach with tips and stories every week, and your clinic leaders will ensure you have the best possible support along the way. After 23 years of SportMed Sun Run InTraining, and literally thousands of success stories, I know you can do it! Vancouver Sun Run 2018 here we come!
WATCH Week 1 Video Tip HERE
READ Detailed Coaching Advice HERE.
*IF joining a clinic doesn’t work for you, and you’d like to do your OWN RUNWALK ON YOUR OWN TIME then join me directly here – you’re first 2 weeks are FREE to make a start:
It’s Week Number One either way, and here we go with a few simple tips to get you started:
- Encourage a friend to join the InTraining Program with you! Take this journey towards better health & fitness TOGETHER! Don’t forget that for every friend/family member you refer to the program, you can enter to each win a pair of Vancouver Canucks tickets! More info HERE
- Make sure you have a proper pair of shoes that will support your bio-mechanics and foot type. Visit one of the SunRun Stores for expert advice: Peninsula Runners, Racquets and Runners, The Right Shoe, or Fit First Footwear.
- Be honest about your fitness and choose the program that’s right for you! Ask your Clinic Coordinator and/or your leaders if you have any questions.
- Decide when you will schedule your 3, one-hour training sessions per week – and give them the same priority you would any other important meeting you might have in your calendar!
- Keep to a nice easy talking pace. Don’t be tempted to do too much, too soon – as this may lead to injury and burn-out.
Walk/NordicWalk10K: Whether you are a beginner or already an avid walker, this program will provide you with a comfortable progression of distances and change-of-pace intervals to ensure you progress at your own level.
LearnToRun10K: If you have never run before, or have not done any running for more than three months – this is the program for you! You will notice the gradual progression in which the walking time decreases and the running time increases, so that by the end of 13 weeks you will be ready to RunWalk the Vancouver Sun Run 10K with magical “10-and-ones”! 10 minutes of running alternated with 1 minute of walking.
New! RunWalk10K: This is an intermediate progression for those who are not yet avid runners but are a little beyond learning to run. If you’ve completed the LearnToRun program and are ready to incorporate more running but still enjoy the walk recoveries, then this is the right choice for you.
Run10KStronger: If you are comfortable running on your own, 2-3 times per week for at least 30 minutes, then you are ready for this program. The introduction of brisk running intervals will help you run more efficiently and help you to progress and run faster, depending on your own personal goals.
Smiles and good luck with Week 1!
Coach Lynn Kanuka
SportMed’s Olympic Medalist and RunWalk Coach